Eternal Lands Official Forums
shanga

El - What A Nice Keylogger

Shanga - problem is that you simply assert that EL is a keylogger. This is a problem since it is not an error that we can be held liable of, which I've tried explaining you previously. It is a bug in either Windows or in libSDL, and as such it is simply out of our hands.

Tovaras sa fii dumneata cu colegii de gradinita, cu mine nu ai sanse. Daca e open-source inseamna ca el al meu, stimabile? Am semnalat un bug, acum inseamna ca ma dau destept, nu? Vai de capul tau...

For English readers: As I pretty much expected - from what I've seen on these forums - thanks to the fact that I signalled a bug, you gentlemen (with some exceptions) decided the best policy is to flame the messenger. That makes me sick beyond imagination, so consider yourself happy in your own little world... this is the last post you'll see from me...

Good...go away.. we do not need people like you...

I tired for hours with all IM's and yahoo to get this

to happen and it never did... i use win xp.

Because I noticed a similar (but different) effect running fullscreen on Linux: If I open a different window (e.g. firefox (F2)) while playing in fullscreen, and I click around in firefox, EL will still have focus, and I can't type anything into firefox until I turn off fullscreen.

Would you do me a favor and try my static linux bin, and see if the behavior is the same? Also say what version of SDL you have.

1.2.7 - and the problem has gone away after I got a new computer, and no longer need to run EL on a separate X-server without a window manager.

Now the browser simply stays behind the EL window.

@ Entropy - I just did help you out, by beta-testing and finding a bug that would've embarassed and - possibly - made you liable for damage if the game had been p2p.

Liable? How? Did you read the license in the first place?

As for the embarassment, I do not feel embarassed at all, this bug that AFFECTS our application is not our job to fix, and besides for you very few people have a problem with it.

The least you can do is fix the game, if not say thanks. And yes - technically this bug is a "keylogger", since it captures keystrokes from a 3rd party app and sends them over a public chat. This idea might piss you off, but your fault or not, that's the end result. Using bad libs in your end product doesn't mean you aren't responsible.

By the same standards, Windows is a virus, Linux is a virus as well, and and so are all the other OSes, and many other programs as well. You know, your keyboard driver is also a keylogger. BTW, this program does not send anything on a public chat without the user specific consent (pressing the enter key). With the exception of the AFK message, under some circumstances.

And it's not all the programmers that are bad. It just those who cannot admit they are wrong. Those who made Putty did a much better job so I don't see the relevance of that phrase...

Oh, but you did imply that all the romanian programmers are bad.

As i've decided to quit playing EL, this is how far my contribution to this game goes.

This is the right choice.

...and no longer need to run EL on a separate X-server without a window manager.

I could see how that would cause some strange problems.

...and no longer need to run EL on a separate X-server without a window manager.

I could see how that would cause some strange problems.

ah, running EL *and* mozilla on an X without a window manager is.. problematic :D try to get something minimal (ion2/ratpoison)

As I pretty much expected - from what I've seen on these forums - thanks to the fact that I signalled a bug, you gentlemen (with some exceptions) decided the best policy is to flame the messenger.

You see, the thing is, you flamed us first....

Anyways, about this bug... if he couldn't see the message on EL until he pressed the enter key... that makes no sense. For that to happen, when the message was sent by the instant messenger, it would have to send the entire text, as if he had typed it extremely fast, to EL. The text that the EL Client sends is only what has been typed in...

Either that, or something has caused one program to hijack the other program's connection, and that would have to be a pretty big bug in SDL_net, or in the IM, or in the OS...

Edited by Hammen

well, it could be the faulty library that causes this.. and i just picked up what he said, i guess he knows what he sees/types.. anyone encountering this "errational behaviour" please tell more details..

I did encounter that behaviour myself, but rarely. It has to do with the focus of the EL window, I think,. It's most likely a SDL bug, and SDL also have some other windowing bugs on Windows (such as the window becomming undraggable in certain situations, etc.)

Nevertheless, we link to the SDL dynamically, via SDL.dll So people can, if they want, either download a more up to date SDL.dll, or make their own, after they fix the bug.

Lol,

so i played a keylogger for more than 1 year. I have never expected that that would be so entertaining ;-)

But seriousely:

1. Yes, Windows is a bug and virus

2. It seems to me to be an SDL problem, because i had 2 days ago a funny effect while playing under windows:

Open 2 EL clients.

Dont switch to fullscreen mode.

Make the window of client B overlapped with the window of client A.

Now click on client A in an area where the icon bar of client B is located.

Switch to client B, and, voila, you should now see a new window popped up. Depending on the button which was under the area you clicked on client A. Ok, no window if you clicked on the "walk" or "attack" icon...

So my thought was, that the mouse clicks were send to all open SDL applications and i called it a SDL bug.

Piper

Tovaras sa fii dumneata cu colegii de gradinita, cu mine nu ai sanse. Daca e open-source inseamna ca el al meu, stimabile? Am semnalat un bug, acum inseamna ca ma dau destept, nu? Vai de capul tau...

Daca e opensource inseamna ca aveti access la surse. Deci il puteti corecta. Daca dumneavostra corectati doar ceea ce va apartine ..... O sa va citez : "Vai de capul tau..."

Faptul ca ati semnalat un bug in maniera asta v-a atras antipatia programatorilor. Imaginati-va ca vine cineva la dumneavoastra si va spune ca programul pe care l-ati scris este un virus doar pentru ca ruleaza sub windows.

Numarati in continuare ....