Eternal Lands Official Forums
shanga

El - What A Nice Keylogger

i think you misjudge the influence the devs here have on SDL development. from what i have seen of the EL sources, this is definitely *not* something any developer put there, but some problem in either windows or SDL (as above said).

there is nothing anyone can do about it but file a bug report with the sdl people (and microsoft?!?) and hope that it will get fixed (or probably it already is..)

this is not the game's or the devs' fault.. nobody says they don't want to fix it, just that they can't..

If we can't recreate the bug here, we do expect users to try to help us out. This is a BETA which means you do need to take some responsibility in finding and identifying bugs. So far you are the only person who has had this problem so we must work with before we can even figure out if it is a problem related to EL or not. I know for a fact that other people in windows are using other programs at the sime time like YIM without any problems.

And you should care, because since this is not something in the game itself, that means that it could possibly happen with other programs on your systems whether you know it or not. Just because you have only seen EL do it, don't jump to the conclusions that we are the only ones that need to worry about it.

Don't assume that your current virus and protection is good enough. Try other checkers as well.

Try being a little bit more paranoid and more helpful.

Yes, but Roja can't help me find the problem. And since you pissed off Entropy by calling EL a keylogger, I don't think he'll look into it on his system. So, I'm stuck with you.

shanga: would you mind telling me exactly what you do?

do you play EL fullscreen?

when the YIM window pops up, does EL get minimized? or is the YIM window just floating above it? can you see what you type into the YIM window appearing in EL?

sorry, but i don't have a windows here to reproduce this ;(

please help by describing the process exactly

yoddhar

I was about to ask the same thing: Does it only happen in fullscreen?

Because I noticed a similar (but different) effect running fullscreen on Linux: If I open a different window (e.g. firefox (F2)) while playing in fullscreen, and I click around in firefox, EL will still have focus, and I can't type anything into firefox until I turn off fullscreen.

I have to agree with Learner, this is very likely NOT an EL bug.

It happens to me sometimes when I type on "konsole", therefore I always switch down EL client when I

am typing passwords. I thought it is an error in my windows manager that not handles focus properly

when you press ALT+TAB. ROTFL.

Regards.

does it only happen when you're playing fullscreen?

my guess is problems with fullscreen and getting focus ripped away..

update: i have tried to run EL under kde fullscreen, and have experienced no problems at all, i can hit f2 and type into that window normally..

i suggest this is a problem with some version of sdl, and an update fixes that. i am using debian sid, so probably fairly new libraries..

Edited by ecraven

LMAO....

same happens to me too when i'm on ICQ :)

Same thing happens to me. For instance:

my YIM chat w/ "a friend":

Me: Hey baby, you want to meet somewhere?

"Friend": Hmmmm you *edited due to adult content*

Me: Ooooh, wow you can do that? ^_^

"Friend": Why don't you tell me some of ur tricks?

Me: *edited due to extreme adult content*

"Friend": Eeew ... sick freak. I'm sure you should stay far away from zoos ...

Me: ;-)

and it was also sent through local chat

D'OH

please please explain what happened exactly..

were you playing fullscreen?

did the chat window pop up in front of EL? was EL minimized? did you see what you typed in EL?

No, i was playing at 800x600 I think. As I explained in the first post, the procedure is this:

Open both YIM and EL

Have YIM minimized in the taskbar

Play EL

When someone sends you a message and YIM flashes, click on it to activate it

At this instance, YIM is over the EL window

Well, anything you type in YIM and send by pressing Enter goes to both YIM and EL.

Also, as soon as you click back into EL window the bug dissapears.

Dunno, about SSH and putty, but i suspect the bug manifests itself in a similar fashion (when the program window is OVER the EL window after being minimized on the taskbar).

Edited by shanga

I cannot see the letters "as I type them". They get sent when I press Enter key. And no, YIM does not obscure the whole EL window, otherwise I wouldn't see the bug happening.

so while you type you see the letters in the YIM window, but not in the EL window, but when you hit enter they get sent in YIM and suddenly also appear as a message in the EL window?

Now, SDL or not, it's not the PLAYER'S responsability to fix YOUR game. Any sound minded developer would've hidden been out of view now, trying HIMSELF to see if an updated SDL is needed. This is a statically compiled lib, so I won't even dream of recompiling EL (a mind numbing job in intself) just to see if it works or not.

You're right, it's not. It's a programmers job. Thus, I'll expect your patch within the week. Remember, diff -Naur please. :lol:

Because I noticed a similar (but different) effect running fullscreen on Linux: If I open a different window (e.g. firefox (F2)) while playing in fullscreen, and I click around in firefox, EL will still have focus, and I can't type anything into firefox until I turn off fullscreen.

Would you do me a favor and try my static linux bin, and see if the behavior is the same? Also say what version of SDL you have.

Mr. shanga, since you accuse others (namely me and everyone in Romania) for not being good programmers, perhaps you could give us a hand by fixing our game? We are a buch of incompetents as you can see, and so are the makers of Putty.

You're right, it's not. It's a programmers job. Thus, I'll expect your patch within the week. Remember, diff -Naur please. :lol:

Thanks ecraven and crusadingknight. In the end, someone who started some bugfixing and stopped talking nonsense.

@ Entropy - I just did help you out, by beta-testing and finding a bug that would've embarassed and - possibly - made you liable for damage if the game had been p2p. The least you can do is fix the game, if not say thanks. And yes - technically this bug is a "keylogger", since it captures keystrokes from a 3rd party app and sends them over a public chat. This idea might piss you off, but your fault or not, that's the end result. Using bad libs in your end product doesn't mean you aren't responsible.

We are a buch of incompetents as you can see, and so are the makers of Putty

And it's not all the programmers that are bad. It just those who cannot admit they are wrong. Those who made Putty did a much better job so I don't see the relevance of that phrase...

As i've decided to quit playing EL, this is how far my contribution to this game goes.

Edited by shanga

Eeekk!!!

I was wrong! It keeps doing it with YIM 6.0, latest version. And it does it, yes, with SSH and putty.

Now, SDL or not, it's not the PLAYER'S responsability to fix YOUR game. Any sound minded developer would've hidden been out of view now, trying HIMSELF to see if an updated SDL is needed. This is a statically compiled lib, so I won't even dream of recompiling EL (a mind numbing job in intself) just to see if it works or not.

It's a lib in a public version you put up for download. As far as any user is concerned, it's a nice, come-and-get-it, keylogger. Go work for MS if you think this is the way to treat a serious bug report.

PS: Si mai zice lumea, domnule Privantu, ca avem programatori buni... bleah...

Toashu shanga,

clientul e opensource. Ce-ar fi daca tot sinteti atit de bun programator sa puneti mina pe un debuger si pe un compilator de C si sa faceti un pic de depanare ... Ca poate va prindeti despre ce e vorba ...

Si poate cu ocazia asta incercati sisteme de operare alternative microshit . S-ar putea sa mearga ceva mai bine ....

Revenind ... Clientul fiind opensource oricine poate sa il modifice . Nu va place cum este acuma ? Compilator / debuger si la treaba.

E mult mai usor sa arunci cu rahat in loc sa construiesti . Dar mentalitatea romaneasca se vede ... Asta e.

Ati numarat oole lu Nastase ?

Sorry for all the english readers here . I woun't translate this message because is better understood in native language.

Tovaras sa fii dumneata cu colegii de gradinita, cu mine nu ai sanse. Daca e open-source inseamna ca el al meu, stimabile? Am semnalat un bug, acum inseamna ca ma dau destept, nu? Vai de capul tau...

For English readers: As I pretty much expected - from what I've seen on these forums - thanks to the fact that I signalled a bug, you gentlemen (with some exceptions) decided the best policy is to flame the messenger. That makes me sick beyond imagination, so consider yourself happy in your own little world... this is the last post you'll see from me...

Edited by shanga