Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aitrus

My Maps!

still looking for my white stone map...

emby

do you want a map or a map that works?

Huh, Aitrus, your maps are really great. Maybe it is a good idea to post the maps in two versions, one without resources and one with resources. But, of course, it is your hard work and your decisions. :P

What concerns 256-colors: Saving a 256-color (or 8bpp color depth, it is the same) with Microsoft Paint is not a good idea, because Paint hasn't got a good algorithm to decrase the color depth and I think that Paint is using the "Web Safe" palette, which is not necesary for Eternal Lands (Eternal Lands client accepts the optimized palette as well).

I have converted the small resized version of DP map to 256 colors with Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft Paint, and you're right the MS Paint version is like Technicolor, but the PSP version is very similar to the original. I've worked in the resized version so the quality is really poor, but you can see the differences in colors.

MS Paint version

PSP9 Version

The maps are streched to 512x512 so I could chceck if they work in EL.

Well, I think if you have some problem with the color depth, I could convert them to 8bpp 98 dpi version, just send me an email (gabrys_t@yahoo.com), or post it in the forums.

Edited by Catz

Expanding a small (shrinked) map will simply kill the looks of the map (as one can see in Cats post).

Awaiting your next try Atrius :P

what i need is a host that dosent resize and shrink if the size is over 250kb, because the real map is 257 lol >.<

ahh cool ill do that :P but just a question, what should i use for to get the optimised pallete instead of web friendly?

I guess in MS Paint it is not possible, but in some other software (like graphics converting programs) there should be an option where you can tell which pallete should be used (or a special option to use web-safe palette). Sometimes it is default to use the optimized pallete (like in Compu-Pic or IrfanView). Just check, if it looks nice than it does not matter which palette you used.

Edited by Catz

If you download The Gimp like dns suggested, just select "generate optimal palette".

You might get better results if you turn dithering off, that depends on the picture.

If you download The Gimp like dns suggested, just select "generate optimal palette".

You might get better results if you turn dithering off, that depends on the picture.

your going to have to teach me >.<

Awsome job on them, I really like them. You really should become a map maker for Eternal Lands.

i think penner has that job already >.> im just picking up the crumbs

your going to have to teach me >.<

OK, assuming you have The Gimp installed (Windows version can be downloaded here). I hope I get the menus right, I can't get it to speak english on this machine ;)

First you need to open the file: File -> open. Or you can make a screenshot directly: File -> acquire -> screenshot.

If you made a screenshot, you probably need to crop it first, to get rid of window decorations, buttons, and the black area. The crop icon is supposed to look like a knife, and is the rightmost icon in the second row in the default 6x5 icon box. Drag to draw a box, and use the little window to fine tune the exact place to cut, and click crop to do it.

Now, we need to scale the image. Right click on the image to get to all the goodies (in some setups, they can be found at the top of the image window too), and select Image -> scale image. Set the width and height to 512. Notice that when you change one, the other changes too. Unless your image already is square, you need to turn this off by clicking on the little chain icon. When both width and height are set to 512, click ok.

Right click again, and select Image -> colors -> indexed. Now, we want to generate optimal palette, with 256 colors (those settings should be default). Below, you most likely want to turn dithering off "no dithering", unless you're working on a photo. Click ok, and check if the image looks like you wanted it to. If not, press Ctrl-Z (undo) and try a different dithering setting.

When you are satisfied, right click again, and select File -> save as. Go to the directory where you want to save, and enter a file name ending in .BMP, as this is the only format EL understands. Make sure "RLE encoded" is OFF, and press ok.

Edited by Leeloo

Thanks , that helped a lot and i am getting use to using it now...

not too hard as i feared lol

awesome leeloo! thanks, but where do i get gimp?

The maps look nice but i prever the Normal 1's cuz i know where to click etc for stlrages,spawns,flowers :-P

Gimp is really good, I use it for lots for stuff. Only logos I cant get to work with gimp. Ones were you got to have the same background shades.

Hmm, the northern entrance to crystal caves could be a little moved to the West on your map of DP

(I'm just using the streched version of your small DP map ;) ).

and i dont need the animation pack, right? (lol you never know)

and i dont need the animation pack, right? (lol you never know)

I haven't even looked at it yet.

i guess that means i dont need it :D

(oi vey gimp is confusing at first)