Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Daxon

Idea

How about making monsters all drop items that relate to them and can be used in armor formulas to enhance the armor (I didn't want to include weapons because I'm not too sure how it'd balance out)? Example.

Let's say ogres drop "Ogre Skin." Let's also say they drop 1/1000, literally (make them rare and not exactly easy to grab). Now, let's say if you were to add 20 ogre skins to an armor formula, then the item becomes "-of The Ogre."

Titanium Chainmail

3 leather, 14 titanium bars, 6 thread, 10 fire essences, 1 enriched fire essence

Now a Titanium Chainmail of The Ogre (Suffix is always subject to change :D)

3 leather, 14 titanium bars, 6 thread, 10 fire essences, 1 enriched fire essence, 20 ogre skins

The armor would give like, I don't know, a +4 to physique? Just a medium stat boost, nothing too godlike.

What I had in mind for monster body part requirements..

Wolf Heart = 25 of them (+2 to instinct) "-of The Wolf"

Bear Heart = 30 of them (+2 to physique, +2 to willpower) "-of The Bear"

Ogre Skin = 20 of them (+4 physique) "-of The Ogre"

Cyclops Eye = 15 of them (+4 coordination) "-of The Cyclops"

Chimeran Wolf Claw = 35 of them (+6 physique, +2 coordination) "-of The Mountain Wolf"

Very open to suggestions, criticism, opinions, remarks, amendments, and the occasional flame. :D

good idea but i dont want to kill 25 000 wolves for one >.>

Edited by Aitrus

Well, I don't think it'd go as high as 25000 lol. Then again, I don't know. There is a spot in VOTD where wolves are slain daily, so somebody would run across one quickly.

Also, I'd like to add that these armors would be much, much harder to break.

Well, I don't think it'd go as high as 25000 lol.  Then again, I don't know.  There is a spot in VOTD where wolves are slain daily, so somebody would run across one quickly.

Also, I'd like to add that these armors would be much, much harder to break.

i think something like 5 hearts would be better =\ with a 1 in 100-500

Edited by Aitrus

I think there IS an idea similar to this, going around the developer circles... trouble is, there are so many ideas and suggestions and pressure to change this or change that - that it's going to take a very very long time before anything can be implemented. But go ahead, develop the idea further. :P

-Lyn-

Alright, developing the idea further..

To go along with this, how about making an item drop that is similar to the monster's power (I.e., medallion of ogre) that adds +3 to physique or something? It's the same as the armor boost, except the item has half (or about) the stat power as the armor type (with exceptions)

Medallion of The Wolf (+5 defense)

Medallion of The Bear (+5 damage)

Medallion of The Troll (+8 critical)

Medallion of The Ogre (+3 physique)

Medallion of The Cyclops (+3 coordination)

Medallion of The Mountain Wolf (+3 physique, +1 coordination)

Edited by Daxon

It should almost be a certainty to get "ogre skin" from an ogre unless it's a skinless undead ogre :-) oooh good idea

So the drop rate should be like 50/70 or something incase you like ruin it's skin entirely

:P

Watch out for game balance issues... Try to come up with something that embraces both realism and game mechanics successfully.

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

Watch out for game balance issues... Try to come up with something that embraces both realism and game mechanics successfully.

-Lyn-

The game balances will balance itself out because of:

Medallions:

High breakage and no way to repair them

Rarity

Armor Suffixes:

Breakage with a chance to repair

Extreme rarity of parts to make the item

Would you hunt with a thermal serp? No, because as soon as it's damaged, you have to hold it at all times, attempt to repair it at 50/50 (and if you feel like losing 100 bucks to a 50% chance, go right ahead), or continue to use the degraded version. Everything in this game is balanced out because of this.

It's not like anybody will make a Titanium chainmail of The Mountain Wolf anytime soon. Unless you can find somebody willing to hunt atleast 35,000 of them, then I rest my case. :P

And as for realism.. this game is based both upon fantasy and realism, so embracing only one causes an imbalance in itself -- my idea embraces more along the lines of fantasy and technology rather than realism.

And as for realism.. this game is based both upon fantasy and realism, so embracing only one causes an imbalance in itself -- my idea embraces more along the lines of fantasy and technology rather than realism.

Yes, sorry... what I meant by realism was that the world should be self-consistent with itself. Not the fantasy versus real life angle, but that Things Should Make Sense - in the laws of the world of EL. Jebus pointed out an issue that talks about that problem - skinless undead ogres. It's still fantasy, but it doesn't make sense to make ogre skin rare drops.

-Lyn-

Yes, sorry... what I meant by realism was that the world should be self-consistent with itself. Not the fantasy versus real life angle, but that Things Should Make Sense - in the laws of the world of EL. Jebus pointed out an issue that talks about that problem - skinless undead ogres. It's still fantasy, but it doesn't make sense to make ogre skin rare drops.

-Lyn-

Does it make sense that fluffy, an itty bitty white rabbit, is the 2nd strongest monster in the game?

Does it make sense to have rocks fall on you when harvesting quartz in the wide open desert with no mountains nearby?

Does it make sense to kill a deer with two punches?

Does it make sense to make a wild boar, an animal that is very, very dangerous in real life, weaker than a wolf which can be killed very easily? I've personally hunted boars, "hogs" as I call them, and trust me, after the 6th shot, I was getting a little nervous about it.

There are a lot of things this game cannot answer because of contradictions. Why should this be any different? You could change the name of the "skins, hearts, eyes" to something like spirit crystals?

Far as I recall, I haven't seen an undead ogre, nor do I want to. :P

yeah this "armor" of the "monsters" idea is very good it would make ppl more determind to raise their attk and def levels so they could get the stuff to make it

mind you a iron platemail of the mountain wolf sounds very appealing if not long winded. i would love to see this.

although a "scale torso of the cyclops" is a bit of a name collision as its implying that the cylops had scale eyes or skin. would be a very good thing to see. :D :lol:

erm those chimeran sufix and medalion have very bad stats for how tuff a chim is. and how rare u would have te drop

Medallion of The Mountain Wolf (+8 physique, +8 coordination)

Chimeran Wolf Claw = 35 of them (+10 physique, +12 coordination) "-of The Mountain Wolf"

Does it make sense that fluffy, an itty bitty white rabbit, is the 2nd strongest monster in the game?

Have you ever seen Monty Python and the HolyGrail?

And you expect that movie to be based on pure reality? ;)

Medallion of The Mountain Wolf (+8 physique, +8 coordination)

Imbalance.

Chimeran Wolf Claw = 35 of them (+10 physique, +12 coordination) "-of The Mountain Wolf"

Imbalance.

These items are meant to help your stats, not boost them to alltime godliness. Together, you get an extra 18 physique and 20 coordination. Yeah, right. People could just wear it for carrying and get 380 extra emus to carry.

how about some things can only be used on different items,

Add ogre skin into leather armour when constructing it to create something the same defence as Titanium chainmail but has some drawbacks, its also unbreakable (cant think of drawback)

you can add it to any leather item to get an effect that is almost the same (imagine, an ogre skin glove, amazing mele damage ^_^)

Helm Of The Beholder:

Normal Iron Helm items,

2 cyclopse eye

The extra ability is that it gives you a small glow(it acts as a light source) in dark and in caves

how about some things can only be used on different items,

Add ogre skin into leather armour when constructing it to create something the same defence as Titanium chainmail but has some drawbacks, its also unbreakable (cant think of drawback)

you can add it to any leather item to get an effect that is almost the same (imagine, an ogre skin glove, amazing mele damage ^_^)

Drawback to ogre skin leather armor? Sheer weight. 50 EMU. Ogres are rather large.

The helm of the beholder would be kinda useless, beacuse you can already see in caves and at night.

What, you can't see perfectally?

Oh, I turned up everything to maximum. My desktop looks really whited out, but caves look like real-world now. If we can do that, why would we need light sorces?