Here's a way to do the same thing in Windows. I keep thinking this has been posted before, but I can't find it, and several people have asked me how to do this recently. So here goes.
In the default configuration of EL in Windows, multiple characters have their own channel colors, counters, recipes, map marks, quick spells, quest logs & trade logs, all located in Documents/Eternal Lands/Main directory. However, Item lists and Chat logs are currently shared between all users, in this same directory. This can be inconvenient.
Our goal, then, is for each character to have its own directory under Documents/Eternal Lands. For this example, let's assume we have a 'Main' character named Darrock, and an alt named Harvard. Make sure that your 2nd character 'Harvard' (or whoever) is logged out of EL.
1) Under Documents/Eternal Lands make a new directory named Harvard (your 2nd character name).
2) Copy *.harvard.dat from Documents/Eternal Lands/Main to Documents/Eternal Lands/Harvard
3) Find Program Files\Eternal Lands\servers.lst. Make a backup of this file somewhere else on your drive. Then make a copy of this file on your desktop. Edit the copy. Add a line for Harvard (your 2nd character). Our hypothetical player's servers.lst file looks like this:
# server.lst - Server list configuration file
# Note: Any amount of whitespace is allowed and # marks a comment from that point until
# the end of the line
# ID Config Dir Address Port Description ...
main main game.eternal-lands.com 2000 Main game server
harvard harvard game.eternal-lands.com 2000 Main game server
#official official game.eternal-lands.com 2000 Main game server
#pk pk game.eternal-lands.com 2002 PK game server
test test game.eternal-lands.com 2001 Test server
#lrnr-main main proxy1.other-life.com 443 Learner's redirection service...
N.B.: If you put a # in front of a row, the row will be ignored. You can have up to 10 characters max (without #) at any given time. Note that the Test server counts as one of this 10. If you have more than 10 lines, EL will not start. Also... the file is named servers.lst (plural) NOT server.lst (as written in first line of this file).
4) Copy the edited server.lst file from your desktop back to Program Files\Eternal Lands. You will probably need administrative access to do this.
5) Make a copy of the shortcut you use to start Eternal Lands. Rename this shortcut 'Harvard' (your 2nd character name). Right-click on it and go to Properties. Add your 2nd character's name to the end of the 'Target' line, like this:
""C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands\el.exe" Harvard
Apply the changes and exit.
6) Start Eternal Lands using this shortcut and log in as your 2nd character. If you have done everything correctly, in dark green it will say (right before 'Welcome to the new server!):
Your personal settings and logs will be saved in C:\Users\yourname\Documents/Eternal Lands/CharName/
Yay! Now you will generate separate chat logs & item lists. You will have a separate el.ini file in each directory that you can edit to customize different characters also.